So, we were supposed to get to take Jonas home yesterday, but Wednesday night, we had a little scare when he was eating. He just gets so tired that he falls asleep and forgets to keep breathing when he eats. The nurse said that he'd been up since the feeding before, so he was really tired. When he stops breathing, his oxygen saturation drops and then his heart rate drops. You have to stimulate him to get everything going again. It is pretty scary. We talked to the nurse about what if something like that happens at home when he is not hooked up to all the monitors. They told us how to keep a close eye on him and what to look for.
The next day, we were all ready to take him home and the doctor said that because of his little episode, they wanted to observe him for a few days. Needless to say I was really disappointed, but I know it is for the best. He had another little episode when we were feeding him Thursday night, so I'm kind of glad that we didn't take him home yet. I found out today that Jonas was awake since the previous feeding before that just like the day before! That little guy is starting to form a pattern. We've decided that we are just going to try to keep him awake throughout his feedings and not let him go to sleep.
He's done well today so far. I've fed him twice this morning and he didn't de-sat once. We'll see how he's been sleeping today when we go in at 8pm and then see if we can keep him awake.
I've also decided that I want to bring him home with a monitor for his oxygen levels. I don't think he'll need to wear it all the time, but definitely when he eats. Well, and maybe for the first couple days/nights just for my peace of mind. I think I'm going to be glued to his bedside for the first little while to make sure that he is doing alright. He's never had any problems when he is not eating, but I just want to make sure.
A little about Mexico
11 years ago


1 comment:
I can imagine how scary that must be! I hope despite the episodes that you are able to take him home soon!
Post a Comment