Monday, May 19, 2008

Feeling Better

Jonas is feeling much better. He's had 2 blood transfusions, so he is fully loaded now. He's off is oxygen completely, not even a nasal canula! He's off is IV fluids, too. He's been eating like crazy. last night we were there to feed him and he took 45 cc's in less than 5 minutes and was still hungry. We fed him 10 more, and he was still hungry. He took another 10 and was still hungry, so we fed him more and finally he acted like he was done. He stayed awake the whole time. Usually, he dozes off about half way through his food and is very much asleep by the time he is done. He was wide awake when we left, but not crying or anything. I hope he was able to fall asleep.

He seems to be coordinating his breathing and eating better. His sats and his heart rate are both staying up while he is eating. He seems really stable. He doesn't even drop his sats while we are burping him, which is the most frequent time it happens, even if it is only into the 80s. I think because he is older, his muscles are getting stronger and he doesn't let himself get so scrunched up when we sit him up to burp him.

Jonas's blood cultures have been coming back negative. The only positive cultures were the first 2 in the first 12 hours. His second spinal tap came back negative as well. That means the bacteria is getting killed. He still has to finish all of his antibiotics, so probably another week and a half or so. I'm going to ask the nurse if she knows when he'll be done with his antibiotics.

The doctor told me yesterday that I tested positive for GBS and that is where Jonas got it from. I don't ever remember being tested for it. I delivered before my OB ever got a chance to. But, the NICU doctor showed me on my chart where it was marked that I was positive, so they must have tested me while I was in the hospital. She said that because Jonas had late onset, that I have to make sure I tell my OB and the hospital with my next baby so they can take all the necessary precautions.

Now that I know I am the one that got Jonas sick, I feel bad. I know that it wasn't something I can control and I didn't do it on purpose, but I still feel guilty. It was my fault he was born six weeks early and it was my fault that he almost died from an infection. Hopefully, I won't almost kill him anymore. I'm trying to not feel guilty about it, just grateful that he is getting better and that he was in the hospital instead of home when he got sick. I guess that is why he was having breathing trouble before. He was sick and the infection hadn't fully developed yet. I guess everything happens for a reason. Sometimes you just can't tell what the reason is when it is happening. You have to wait to find out, which is the hardest part for me.

5 comments:

Laume976 said...

Not your fault at all!! Its the stupid "standard"'s fault for being to test at 37 weeks pregnant. Which has never made sense to me, since the few cases of GBS positive people that I've known have always ended up having their babies a month or two early.
When I got pregnant, I asked my OB to give me the test early and she wouldn't.. she said we didn't need to worry about it until much later, despite the help it would have been even jsut to ease my mind of knowing whether or not i had it. Seriously, don't feel bad at all because you are right, there's absolutely nothing you could do about it. it just is what it is and you have no way of knowing when you have it. *HUGS*
I'm glad Jonas is doing better.. any ideas now as to when he gets to go home?? does he have to stay until he's done with the antibiotics?

Kathy said...

Even if I had tested and had known that I was positive, the "precautions" they take only prevent early onset GBS and not late, like Jonas got. In fact, they did everything they would do when I was giving birth. They had me on IV antibiotics and they gave Jonas antibiotics right after he was born, but he still got sick. I just hope that my next child will be lucky and not get the infection.

Unknown said...

"Next child", how many are you planning on having? Just a little question to hopefully lighten the mood. Jonas is one lucky little fighter. He sounds like he's doing awesome and I can't wait to meet him.

Anonymous said...

Please Kathy, do not blame yourself. As you say, they medical professionals did all they thought was necessary to protect Jonas; and see....

"Bad things" happen to sweet babies, including Jonas, and often there is nothing we can do to prevent it. Just keep doing the best you can -- like you are.

Little Jonas, we love you.
-Grandpa Phill

Tamra said...

It's not your fault! It sounds as if those post partum hormones are getting to you. I understand as I've been dealing with that a bit myself. Hang in there! Soon he will be at home and all of this will just be a memory.